Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Teaching? Dreaming.

Today, I feel a calling a teach. It's the end of Summer, and, as tired as I was of schoolwork in May, I miss being in the classroom.  I'm taking just one class again this semester--Studies in Dramatic Literature--and it meets for the first time on Thursday, the 28th. I've ordered my books, I've got my favorite pens, and I'm ready to discuss symbolism.

I do love my job. Maybe I can teach a night class once I finish my Master's degree.  I also think about continuing my education beyond that and earning a PhD in rhetoric and composition theory. But when would I have a family?

Sometimes I hear stories of women who went to graduate school while working full-time as a single parent to multiple children.  There are truly amazing women out there.  Sometimes, I find this inspiring.  Other times, I feel like I cannot be one of them. I'm not great at multi-tasking, and I don't want to half-ass something I love.

When Ryan and I started dating, he pointed out that I tend to feel overwhelmed when I look too far ahead, and feel calm when I focus on the present.  So this is my reminder to myself: I am on the path I want to be on.  I still have options before me, and I don't have to make tough choices quite yet.

I just hope I choose what's best when the road forks before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment